The IKEA vision is to create a better everyday life for the many people. We do this by offering a wide range of well-designed, functional home furnishing products at affordable prices . We are part of IKEA Al-Homaizi Limited, operating in three countries - Kuwait, Jordan, and MOROCCO.
Our keywords are Home, People, Happiness, Development, Leadership, Inclusion & Diversity, All with Passion!Job description
Purpose of the function: Sustainability is not a function, but a business approach, a mindset, and a way of working together across all functions, in order to strengthen the commercial agenda, become a better place to work, a better local neighbour and a store with positive impact on people and planet.
Purpose of the job: support the store management team in making sustainability come alive in the store, across all functions. Together with co-workers, customers, and partners determine how we can operate in an environmentally responsible way while tackling climate change, unsustainable consumption, and inequality.
Key assignments: Inspire, develop, support and challenge the business teams to ensure effective implementation and fulfilment of the Sustainability agenda in day to day Operations;
- Identify and monitor sustainability trends, policy developments and business opportunities;
- Lead the Sustainability Developers matrix ensuring aligned and efficient ways of working to reach the sustainability goals;
- Engage in extensive internal and external networking to drive the Sustainability agenda. Act as a bridge builder to enable new collaborations and partnerships in close collaboration with the business;
- Identify and contribute to mitigate sustainability risks;
- Proactively support and advice business teams on sustainability related topics;
- Share and develop sustainability competence throughout the business by inspiring and empowering co-workers;
- Review and revise sustainability proposals or policies;
- Research or review regulatory, technical, or market issues related to sustainability;
- Identify or create new sustainability indicators;
- Identify or investigate violations of natural resources, waste management, recycling, or other environmental policies;
- Facilitate store improvement through the Sustainability Functional Review and other relevant tools;
- Provide technical or administrative support for sustainability programs or issues;
- Identify or procure needed resources to implement sustainability programs or projects;
- Create or maintain plans or other documents related to sustainability projects;
- Assess or propose sustainability initiatives, considering factors such as cost effectiveness, technical feasibility, and acceptance;
- Monitor or track sustainability indicators, such as energy usage, natural resource usage, waste generation, and recycling;
- Collect information about waste stream management or green building practices;
- Contribute to the economic sustainability of the organization by discovering and implementing measures to reduce energy and resource use;
- Write reports and other public communications to promote sustainability initiatives;
- Oversee and implement corporate social responsibility initiatives;
- Engage managers and co-workers by providing timely and relevant sustainability knowledge and information;
- Provide support in delivering co-worker sustainability training and secure the understanding of roles and contributions to the sustainability agenda in each function.
- Bachelor Degree in environmental sciences, environmental engineering, or related field would be an advantage;
- Preferable having a certification in a sustainability system;
- Preferred minimum 5 years EH&S experience with experience in the field of Sustainability;
- Track record of Developing sustainability project goals, objectives, initiatives, or strategies;
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work in a team or teams, working in multiple projects simultaneously;
- Strong knowledge of industry and government EHS standards and regulations;
- Proficient knowledge of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Experience of working with sustainability in a business environment.
- Interest and previous know-how about sustainability is an advantage;
- Strong understanding of IKEA organisations work with sustainability;
- Sustainability University degree (e.g. sustainability/CSR, environmental engineering, business, economics);
- Advanced sustainability knowledge and an understanding of how it can support the business agenda;
- Country/market-specific knowledge and experience;
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken.
- Passion for sustainability/CSR and highly motivated in making IKEA a People & Planet Positive company;
- Results and change driven, and a desire to lead people and business;
- Inspired by our vision "create a better everyday life for the many people;
- Open-minded and solutions oriented.
- Leadership abilities;
- Organisational and coordination qualities;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- The ability to be self-directed and self-motivated and the ability to be team player;
- Solid problem solving skills and be recognized as results oriented.